6Beds met with CCL in Sacramento on March 2, 2016 to review and discuss a draft copy of its upcoming RCFE medication management best practices guide for RCFEs. I attended the meeting in person on behalf of 6Beds and was accompanied via teleconference by fellow 6Beds leader, Cyndy Minnery, R.N.
Here’s a sneak peek at what topics you can expect CCL’s upcoming RCFE medication management guide will cover:
- Designation of Staff to Handle and Store Medication
- New Arrivals with Medication and Refills
- Medication Placed on Hold, Expired or Resident Dies
- Medication is Refused, Missed, or Needs to Be Crushed or Altered
- Medication Set Up, Home Visits, and Medication from Other Countries
- Medication Destruction
Guidance for Specific Medications
- PRN Medication
- Injectable Medications
- Ear and Eye Drops or Nasal Sprays and Over-the-Counter Medications
- Emergency Medication
- Pre-Packaged Medications, Sample Medications, PRN Medication, and Psychotropic Medications
- Medication Training
6Beds provided significant feedback regarding a number of areas addressed in the draft copy of the guide that we feel will result in positive developments for RCFE licensees that will be reflected in the final version of the guide.
Stay tuned for updates regarding these developments and information regarding the release of the guide.